Guide to Quoting Flight Parts through Xometry
Trusted by NASA, GE, Firefly Aerospace, the US Army, and 85% of Fortune 500 Aerospace Companies
Manufacturing of Flight Parts through Xometry
Xometry can reach a variety of qualifications and standards, including those that are acceptable for “flight” components. This can include FAIR per AS9102, EAR requirements, DFARS, ITAR, complex geometry, specialized finishing, and non-destructive testing (NDT) such as dye penetrant or magnetic particle inspection.
In aerospace, Flight Parts are the manufactured components found on an aircraft. This can include landing struts, instrumentation, consoles, and more. “Flight” may also be used when describing critical parts for spacecraft--in other words, Spaceflight Parts. In some cases, such as life support items, we have seen terms like Human Spaceflight explicitly listed.
Flight, Spaceflight, and especially Human Spaceflight hardware quotes must be reviewed for accuracy by Xometry's Expert Engineering team to ensure all requirements are accounted for in the quote.
Here is the best way to request Flight Parts using Xometry:
Please follow these steps to the best of your ability. Need help? Contact us at email@example.com
- Upload your 3D CAD file(s) to our Xometry Instant Quoting Engine℠ as you would normally do for a quote.
- Specify as much as you can by clicking “Modify Part” on the part line item.
- Ensure a technical drawing is attached, as well as any inspection templates (if applicable) In the notes field, please put “Flight Parts.”
- In the upper left-hand corner of the quote summary, click “Add Certifications” and check any appropriate requirements for ITAR/EAR, certifications, and traceability.
- If the quote has moved to “Manual Quote Required,” please submit the manual quote.
- If the quote is still in an auto-quoted state, please contact your Xometry account representative or firstname.lastname@example.org with a message for us to finalize the quote for the flight components.
- A representative will reach out to ensure we have all the details and requirements for making your project successful.
What will our Xometry experts look for on your Flight Parts quote?
- Qualification and inspection requirements, such as FAIR per AS9102
- Any restrictions pertaining to material sourcing, inspection, machining, or finishing (e.g., Approved Mills List, NADCAP, etc.)
- Export restrictions or specific certifications
- The level of acceptable traceability
- Please let us know if any notes, like secondary inspections and documentation, do not apply to the drawing.
- Please advise of any other material, features, dimensions, or finishes exceptions.
- Please be explicit if an approved supplier is required for finishing or NDT on non-flight components.
Contact Xometry or your dedicated account representative. We are happy to get technical experts on the line to guide your project to successful completion!
Trusted by Aerospace Engineers and Designers at 9 of the Top 10 Fortune 500 Aerospace Companies
Federal agencies, aerospace companies, and defense contractors can build a more agile supply chain with Xometry as they focus on new markets for aerospace and and NewSpace. Xometry complies with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), and Defense Logistics Agency Joint Certification Program (JCP) security-related standards. All parts uploaded to our application are encrypted at rest and in transit and controlled in line with DFARS. With ITAR, we will only use partners that are ITAR Registered by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Aircraft OEMs
- Tier 1 suppliers
- Defense contractors
- Satellite manufacturers and operators
- Aircraft maintenance, repair, and overhaul service providers
- Space launch operators
- Commercial, industrial, and military drone/UAV manufacturers
- Federal agencies